Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Journey in a Wheelchair


Well I have not been able to walk since March 24th, and now I am told I have one more week till I can start gradually putting weight on my right leg again. On March 30th I had a stainless steel plate and 7 screws put into my leg to stabilize the two broken bones in my ankle. It has been a very long hard road and I have learned a lot from this experience. I have learned that I don’t have to do everything myself, I do have a family who can and will help! I have learned just how difficult it is to function in a wheelchair and actually get things done. I have learned how to get in and out of my house by scooting on my butt and only using one leg, since there is no way in without getting over at least a few steps! I have a profound new respect for people who can deal with an inability to walk and don’t let it stop them.

Above all this has been another lesson to me in leaning on the Lord and letting Him be my strength. The Bible says we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us, and yet again He has shown me this is true. The day after I broke my ankle I just cried and cried. I had no idea how I was going to make it through this time. How was I supposed to care for my kids? Keep up with my business? Cook? Clean? Finish up with the last class of my degree (which was half way through when I was injured)? How was I supposed to endure the pain of another surgery and weeks of healing? The weeks ahead seemed so overwhelming I did not know how it would be possible to get through it all while in so much pain. But here I am now and I see that God has truly carried me through it all. It has been very hard, but God is also very faithful. He made a way for me to have help everyday with cooking, cleaning and caring for my kids. He gave me the grace to get everything done each day that I needed to do, and the patience to let other people do all the things I could not do!

In exactly one week I go back to the doctor and I am supposed to be able to start taking my first steps with a brace on. It will still be a long road and I know it won’t be easy, but I have the confidence that the Lord will carry me through this time too. There is nothing I can face in this life that is too much for Him. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!

7 comments:

  1. praying for you Honey, blessings Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God, Lucy! He never lets us down. We'll be praying for you as you recover and grow in strength:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a sweetie. Praying for you to heal FAST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy, loved your post! It was a great reminder for me about God being EVER present in hard times and in good! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great testimony to our great and awesome God. Praying for this ordeal to be over soon. He is our strength!

    ReplyDelete